This page will be going away soon - please see our new Casting Process Section
Rapid Prototyping in Plastic and Metal
Pentz Cast Solutions' Rapid Prototyping is the preferred method if you want to produce prototypes quickly. We create prototypes in plastic or metal directly from 3D digital data in 1 to 5 days, depending on the size and complexity of your part. Below are typical steps:
- Receive 3D CAD file.
- Review casting design and select the appropriate production casting processes. Production casting processes may include automated green sand, manual green sand, dry sand, or permanent mold methods. Core processes may include SO2, shell or no bake methods.
- Select the appropriate prototype process to build the prototype or engineering model. Prototype processes may include stereolithography (SLA), fused deposition modeling (FDM), or laminate object manufacturing (LOM) prototyping methods.
- Build the prototype or engineering model.
- Finish the prototype or engineering model.
- Verify and validate the part design.
Review our Rapid Prototyping Solution Flowchart (PDF) for a graphical presentation of the processes.
CAD formats and file
We use Solid Works CAD software and work with a variety of CAD formats including STEP, IGES, DWG, DXF, PRT and others. CAD file transfers can be made by modem, fax, 1.44 mb diskette, CD-ROM, Iomega zip and FTP transfers from customers’ sites. See CAD File Transfer for details.