This page will be going away soon - please see our new Casting Process Section
Rapid Tooling and Casting
Pentz' Rapid Tooling and Casting Solution is the preferred method if you want to build a quality prototype quickly or to produce short run production parts cost-effectively. Prototype tooling is created in just a few days with our innovative state-of-the-art equipment. Below are the typical steps in this solution:
- Receive 3D CAD file.
- Review casting design and select the appropriate production casting and core processes. Production casting processes may include automated green sand, manual green sand, dry sand, or permanent mold methods. Core processes may include SO2, shell or no bake methods.(See Casting Process and Core Process Comparison Tables)
- Select the appropriate processes to build the master pattern or to match the pattern plate and cores. The tooling processes may include using CNC machined patterns, using stereolithography (SLA), fused deposition modeling (FDM), or laminate object manufacturing (LOM) prototyping methods to build the pattern, or hand building the pattern.
- Build a loose pattern or pattern plate and core boxes.
- Verify the tooling and validate the part design where needed.
- Build the prototype or short run production parts.
Review our Rapid Tooling and Casting Solution Flowchart (PDF) for a graphical presentation of the process.
CAD formats and file
We use Solid Works CAD software and work with a variety of CAD formats including STEP, IGES, DWG, DXF, PRT and others. CAD file transfers can be made by modem, fax, 1.44 mb diskette, CD-ROM, Iomega zip and FTP transfers from customers’ sites. See CAD File Transfer for details.